BUSCOPAN - a patient's guide
TYPE: Hyoscine N-butylbromide
Use: Muscle spasm of stomach.
This medicine is indicated for the symptomatic relief of stomach and bowel cramps associated with irritable bowel syndrome and period pain. It works by exerting an antispasmodic effect on the smooth muscle of the gastro-intestinal walls providing a muscle relaxant effect on the stomach.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding (safety not yet been established).
There are little adverse effects following oral dosage (skin rash may occur).
No known interactions following oral dose.
- Follow the instructions on the label of this medicine (do not exceed recommended dosage)
- Do not stop taking this medicine until relief is sought or skin rash occurs
- Oral: take 2 tablets four times daily (or as directed)
- You can take analgesics (e.g. paracetamol) with Buscopan for added relief
- Avoid taking certain foods that may irritate the stomach (talk to your pharmacist).